These columns indicate the reference number of listed localities (towns, villages, tribes). Col. 1 is a serial number for identification of rows. Col. 2 is a reference number for the depopulated villages as per this study (AS No.). Col. 3 is a reference number for the depopulated villages as per the work of Benny Morris, 1987 (M. No.). Col 4 is a reference number for the depopulated villages as per the work of the research team led by W. Khalidi, 1992 (K. No.)–as shown on his end map.
Most of this Register is based on Morris and W. Khalidi.Morris listed 369 villages and towns and described the circumstances of their depopulation based on recently released Israeli files.Khalidi, in a detailed group effort, listed 418 villages which are: villages or hamlets (only) listed in the Palestine Index Gazetteer of 1945 falling inside the Armistice Line of 1949 (including no man’s land), which have a core of permanent structures, have their own names, have Arabic-speaking Palestinians, have Arab land and have been depopulated after the hostilities began.Khalidi’s list of 418 villages excludes: all towns, bedouins, villages which lost their land but not their homes, localities of villagers who lived on Jewish or German land and villagers who left before hostilities.
The AS list includes both Morris and Khalidi localities and adds tribes in Beer Sheba District, which are equivalent in population to 125 typical villages and in cultivated land to about half the registered land in the rest of Palestine. Although subsequently repopulated, less than half a dozen other villages were added for various reasons, e.g. occurrence of massacres.The total is 531 localities. The sequence of AS No is according to the depopulation date. Table-1 shows the summary of the three listings.
Table-1: Number of Localities in Different Studies